OVERVIEW – HULL and DECK
The Sou’wester 42 is a timeless model within the Hinckley lineup, one that has been admired for its beauty and sailing characteristics around the world. CAVU is Hull #68 of 77 built and is appointed, equipped, and maintained to the highest standards.
CAVU’s hull was constructed using the SCRIMP process to vacuum-infuse vinylester resin in a single step into a cored laminate of Kevlar/E-glass. Kevlar fabric greatly increases the strength of the hull against damage impacts and the aircraft grade balsa core provides the greatest degree of stiffness and thermal/acoustic insulation. The skin coat is chopped mat in low-shrink vinylester resin to provide a superior surface finish and a greater resistance to water osmosis. Core is removed and the hull is reinforced with additional layers of fiberglass in stress areas. A fiberglass hull stringer system is bonded to the hull and integrated with the mast step and engine mounts to form a single unit that is strong and light.
The deck and house are Scrimp-molded in one piece incorporating a hybrid knit fabric of Kevlar/E-glass and a core of aircraft grade balsa which is deleted in major penetration and stress areas and replaced with solid layers of reinforcing fiberglass. The hull is laid up with a 4" recessed flange to receive the deck which is bonded to this surface with reinforced polyester adhesive. It is thru-bolted on 8′ centers with additional fastenings in the area of the toe rail tracks, thus ensuring a strong, permanent, and watertight hull/deck joint.
- Keel: 9,000 lb. molded lead keel is secured to the hull with 1" stainless steel bolts.
- Centerboard: Molded solid fiberglass.
- Rudder: Skeg-hung rudder.
- Marelon ball valve-type seacocks are flush with the hull. Wooden plugs are fitted for all thru-hulls.
- Guardrail at sheer painted to match hull with solid stainless steel half oval.
- Custom teak inlay on foredeck – to protect from anchor chain.
- All stainless steel deck hardware.
- Stainless steel bow and stern pulpits, with integrated stern folding teak tread boarding ladder.
- Stainless steel stanchions with double lifelines and port and starboard boarding gates.
- Double-sided opening hatches with smoked plexiglass covers.
- Plexiglass companionway slide with integrated track for storage of three companionway doors.
- Forward partitioned anchor locker has direct drainage to the bilge; 2nd anchor rode deck pipe fitting.
- Varnished teak, double dorade box with two dorade ventilators and small storage compartment.
- Saltwater deck wash.
- Stainless steel bow roller for CQR anchor
The aft, T-shaped Cockpit has a naturally-maintained teak sole and its teak-rimmed coaming is varnished, stepped-down, and wider adjacent to the wheel for comfortable outboard seating. The water-tight, opening cockpit seats have molded non-skid. The sail and equipment locker to port can be locked from the main cabin and has a stainless steel line rack and a custom light. The cockpit includes a propane locker with vent. There are four stainless steel-trimmed winch pockets in the cockpit coaming.
Pedestal wheel steering has a 38" stainless steel destroyer-type wheel with elkhide covered rim (redone 2018), stainless steel guardrail, GPS chartplotter (new 2017), engine controls, watertight, 12-volt outlet, and a stainless steel-housed 6" binnacle compass and binnacle guard. A complete range of engine instruments and switches are recessed in locations handy to the helmsman. Sailing instruments are above the companionway.
- Cockpit Dodger: (New 2017) White with zippered-opening, hard forward window and stainless steel grab rail covered in elk hide.
- Cockpit awning zips from dodger to bimini.
- Bimini top provides shade to the helmsman.
- Cockpit Cushions (3) – custom-fitted.
- Varnished teak cockpit table: fold-down, pedestal mounted, and removable (custom storage rack in forward closet).
- Freshwater deck shower with hose and Simmons mixing valve, mounted starboard aft, with in-line shut-off.
- 2 propane tanks in separate locker.
CAVU has a SW42 MKII standard "Dinette" arrangement that sleeps up to six in two cabins with a total of three separate sleeping areas. Her interior finish is satin-varnished cherry with gloss highlights, louvered cherry locker fronts, and custom "flame" cherry solid locker doors. Her overhead is white formica with dome lights and her cabin sole is gloss varnished teak and holly (completely removed and refinished in 2014). All inset, removable floor hatches are lockable for offshore sailing. Hanging lockers are cedar-lined.
- Espar D3L diesel heater – utilizes a custom, stainless fitting to exhaust above deck.
- (2) Double-opening overhead hatches.
- (7) Fixed ports provide natural light.
- (3) Opening ports provide natural light and ventilation.
- (2) Screened dorade vents with closures.
- (5) Hella fans
- 12-volt lighting includes Frigast lights.
- All berths have lee cloths for offshore sailing.
- Beige chamois ultrasuede interior cushions and off-white curtains.
- AM/FM Stereo with CD at nav station. (2) Speakers in main cabin and (2) in forward cabin.
- Custom, straight-across, large V-berth with (3) built-in storage drawers
- Sliding, vented lockers over berths outboard to port and starboard
- (3) Drawer bureau to port. Additional locker storage
- Full-length, cedar-lined hanging locker to starboard
- The partitioned, anchor rope and chain forepeak storage is accessed via a louvered cherry door
- (2) Opening ports
- (2) Hella fans
- (2) Frigast 12-volt lights
- (2) Stereo speakers
Situated to port, the Head is finished in white formica with (2) vented, cherry locker doors and cherry trim.
- Ventilation provided by screened, opening port and screened dorade vent with shut-off.
- Sierra Sunset Corian countertop with stainless steel sink.
- Faucet with pull-out shower hot/cold mixer and wall mount for hands-free showering.
- Stainless steel handrail/towel bar.
- Manual marine head is plumbed to a holding tank or direct overboard.
The full-width cabin is amidships and to port is the U-shaped Dinette and fold-down, varnished, cherry table. A dimmable, halogen light is overhead.
The custom, outboard dinette seat pulls inboard to form double berth. Generous storage behind berth.
- (2) Vented lockers above dinette surround a bookcase.
- A custom stainless steel pole along with molded cherry cutouts provide safety hand-holds throughout the main cabin.
To Starboard: Forward is a full-length, cedar-lined hanging locker. Aft of the hanging locker is a two-drawer cabinet with a locker above containing 110V and TV antenna outlets. Continuing aft is a curved settee/transom berth with storage behind and two lockers and bookshelf above/outboard.
- (2) Flush-mounted stereo speakers are built-into the forward faces of port and starboard bookshelves.
- (2) Hella 12V fans, stainless steel Ocean Frigast lights, overhead dome lights.
- Weems & Plath brass ship’s clock and barometer mounted above port dinette.
Situated to port, the U-shaped Galley is separated from the main salon by a partial bulkhead with a varnished cherry cut-out grab rail.
- Forward: Glacier White Corian countertop, stainless steel double sink, faucet with hot & cold pressure water, manual freshwater hand pump. Custom cutting board.
- Outboard: Gimbaled 3-burner stainless steel Force 10 propane stove with oven & broiler. Stainless steel enclosure with solenoid shut-off and trap storage forward.
- Aft: Sea Frost dual-powered refrigeration system (12-volt DC or 110V AC shore power; new 2012) with separate refrigeration/freezer box. GE microwave located in inboard galley locker.
Lockers, shelves, bin, and drawer storage areas are available for foodstores and galleyware. Pull-out trash bin and built-in dustpan recessed-into cabin sole.
To starboard, opposite the galley and aft of the main saloon settee is the forward-facing Nav area separated by a partial bulkhead.
- Opening nav table for chart storage. (3) deep drawers for tools/storage.
- Custom cherry cabinet forward houses nav electronics.
- Electrical panel and gauges.
- Red/white dome light and a gooseneck chart light.
AFT QUARTER BERTH:
The single, Quarterberth is aft of the nav station and lined with cherry sheathing. Vented, sliding storage lockers are outboard running the length of the berth. The hot water tank is accessible at the aft end of the berth. This area includes a 12-volt Hella fan, a stainless steel Ocean Frigast light, an overhead dome light, and (4) hooks for life jackets, foul weather gear etc.
On center-aft is the Cockpit Companionway with screens, and port and starboard handrails. The (3) companionway doors are varnished teak and stored via integrated track on the companionway slide.
12-Volt DC electrical system:
- Engine start: (1) 8G27 12-volt battery.
- House: (6) 8GGC2 6-volt batteries.
- A dual output 100 amp alternator is mounted on the main engine.
- Ability to link house and engine batteries for emergency starting
110-Volt AC System:
- MasterVolt Inverter/Charger (New 2011), Battery monitor, and Remote panel.
- 110-volt outlets in galley, nav station, head, V-berth, and salon.
- 50-foot, 30-amp cord with 30/15 adapter and inlet.
All circuits are circuit breaker protected at the nav station panel which is equipped with both voltmeter and ammeter. Master switches are provided for starting, lighting, primary winches, secondary winches, and windlass circuits.
All circuits, major mechanical components, and rigging are grounded to the keel with heavy copper strapping and the mast is lightning protected.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.