Nijinsky is Sou’wester 52 hull #10 of Hinckley’s successful SW51/52 McCurdy and Rhodes sailboat design. Nijinsky is the SW52 featured in Hinckley literature and in books such as “Hinckley Yachts: An American Icon (2013)”. She is a lightly used – 1,550 engine hours – three-stateroom SW52. Nijinsky’s beautiful condition, including her original off-white gelcoat, reflects the care and money expended on her, and the northern European summer sailing she has mostly experienced in the years in which she was sailed. In the years in which she was not sailed, and during winter, she was stored ashore under cover (in a heated winter storage shed or under a full boat-cover).
In the current ownership from 2012, Nijinsky has been thoroughly brought up to date. Systems were checked for condition and replaced or reconditioned by OEM suppliers or Dutch marine engineers (e.g., Hollandspar Engineering), as required. The carbon-fibre mast was stripped, repainted, and redressed, mast fittings, such as cleats, were all refurbished or replaced, and all standing rod-rigging was replaced with new rod-rigging and new fittings – a conservative precaution as recommended by rod-rigging manufacturers. Nijinsky is replete with high-end options, and features a Hood carbon-fiber mast with Reckmann hydraulic in-mast furling, a Reckmann hydraulic jib furler, Simrad hydraulic-ram autopilot, cockpit-panel controlled hydraulic vang and backstay tensioner, and Lewmar Ocean electric primary and secondary winches. Her interior is a Hinckley masterpiece of Teak & Holly sole, satin-varnished American Cherry woodwork with full-gloss Cherry highlights, and contrasting satin-white bulkheads and panels in cabins and heads, all in beautiful condition.
NIJINSKY was built for a German industrialist, sailed briefly in Maine in 1999, and then shipped to the German coast on the Baltic Sea. Between 2000 and 2005, she was sailed in summer and kept under cover in winter – inside a shed or on the hard under winter boat-covers. In 2005 she was sailed to France, and sold to an owner who lives in Mallorca, Spain. Nijinsky was used for day sailing in Mallorca.
In late 2012, Nijinsky was purchased by current owners and shipped to the Netherlands, then put in a winter-storage shed. In 2013, she underwent a comprehensive refit by Holland Spar Engineering and Vehrmeulens Jachtwerf, and further updating has taken place over winter each year. From 2014 to 2017, she sailed in summer and was kept under cover in winter. In September 2017, Nijinsky was put in a heated winter-storage shed where she was also kept in 2018. This year she is for sale.
- Number of Staterooms: 3
- Number of Heads: 2
- Number of single berths: 4 (including pull-out berth in Saloon and Saloon outboard settee)
- Number of double berths: 2
Nijinsky’s Owner’s Cabin is aft on the port side with a generous double berth (with fitted sheets) and a large hanging locker. A Head with a stall shower is accessible from the Owner’s Cabin, and from the Saloon, close to the companionway. To starboard is a fully equipped U-shaped Galley, convenient to both Saloon and cockpit. The full-width Saloon to port has a U-shaped dinette with a Cherry table. To starboard is a comfortable settee (which pulls out to make an additional full-size berth) with a Nav Station aft of the settee. Lockers, book shelves, bottle storage compartments, and entertainment systems are located around the seating and dining areas. Forward are two Guest Cabins, port and starboard; Over/under single berths in stbd cabin, and a double berth in the port cabin (all with fitted sheets). Both Guest Cabins have drawers and lockers, as well as large hanging lockers, and both share a forward Head.
- Satin-varnished Cherry panels with gloss-varnished highlights throughout; contrasting satin-white paneling in staterooms and heads.
- Berths for eight. Fitted sheets for all berths.
- Antique White Formica overhead with satin-varnished Cherry trim.
- Varnished Teak & Holly sole.
- All locker doors are louvered, except small sliders, and have chrome-finished push-button latches with adjustable keepers.
- Curtains with linings throughout.
- Full-length Cherry integral main-cabin hand rails.
- Lee cloths on all berths (except aft-cabin double), including saloon settee port-side, and saloon pull-out settee/berth starboard-side.
- Eberspacher Airtronic D5L cabin heater – with adjustable outlets in aft cabin, aft heads, saloon, and both fwd cabins. Cabin heater is regulated by a digital timer/modulator located in the Saloon.
- Hella fans for each berth and in Saloon.
- Lighting: Recessed halogen spotlighting with dimmers and remote switches in the Saloon over the saloon table, and in book-shelf alcoves port and starboard. Recessed LED spotlights over vanity in both Heads. Two Cabin (Denmark) “Ocean” LED reading lamps in each Stateroom, with three in the saloon. Overhead remote switched LED lamps in Galley, Saloon, both Heads, and each Stateroom. Cabin “Anne” LED ceiling lamps over counters in Galley, and red/white switchable Cabin “Anne” LED lamp over the chart table. Red floor-illumination LED night lights throughout. All lamps, except dimmable halogen lamps, are warm-LED, spike protected, multi-voltage.
- Finished in Cherry and White Formica.
- Large opening stainless-steel deck hatch.
- Manual Groco Model K toilet, plumbed to holding tank. Holding tank is plumbed to a macerator-type discharge pump, and may also be emptied at a pump-out station via a deck fitting. The holding tank level is monitored by a Tankwatch III system. For offshore use, discharge from the toilet may be diverted directly overboard.
- Teak sole grate with drain into sump tank.
- To port, Cherry-trim vanity with Sierra Sandstone Corian countertop and Glacier White sink.
- Telephone-style removable mixing faucet with hot and cold pressure water.
- AC outlet.
- Grey-water sump for sole-drain and sink.
- Mirrors and storage lockers outboard port and starboard; over vanity on port and over teak shower bench on starboard.
- Stainless steel towel bars.
- Forward access to bow-thruster motor.
- Two doors lead aft from the Head to port and starboard Guest Cabins.
Starboard Forward Cabin
- Upper and lower single berths.
- Large hanging locker.
- Storage in outboard lockers and locker below lower berth.
- Overhead opening hatch.
- Opening portlight.
- Hella fan
Port Forward Cabin
- Double berth with storage drawers and locker beneath.
- Large hanging locker.
- Night stand with locker.
- Overhead opening hatch and Dorade vent.
- Opening portlight.
- Hella fan.
Full-width main saloon with dinette to port and settee/berth to starboard.
- Bosch stereo speakers mounted in port and starboard alcove overheads.
- Book storage in alcoves port and starboard.
- Alcantara-covered cushioned seating.
- Overhead opening hatches on port and starboard, Dorade vent forward on starboard.
- Settee pulls-out to form a full berth with lee-cloth.
- Locker outboard forward.
- AC outlet
- Seating for seven around fixed Cherry dining table incorporating central storage compartment covered with a Cherry panel.
- Lee-cloth for outboard settee.
- Outboard lockers forward and aft.
- Aft locker has hideaway doors and stores a flat-screen TV on retractable swivel base.
- Fwd locker stores DVD player and CD player on upper shelf, with general storage below.
- AC outlet.
- Clock and barometer on fwd bulkhead.
- Inboard backrest incorporates two separate bottle storage lockers, one accessed by a panel above, the other accessed by a locker door.
- Hella fan
- Large and well-equipped navigation table.
- Lift-top chart storage.
- Storage drawers inboard and under.
- Aft starboard settee doubles as navigation table seat – lift-up seat back uses aft settee back-cushion.
- Electrical circuit breaker panel and digital gauges (12V, 24V, AC) behind plexi-glass door outboard of the navigation table seat.
Outboard of Chart Table:
- Panda 8 AC Generator remote panel.
- ICOM IC-M127 VHF with DSC.
- Tank Tender fuel and water tank gauge.
- Promodule fuel-use monitor.
- Masterlink Mass Inverter/Charger remote control-panel.
- Raymarine R40/XX radar display.
- Fastnet Radio FMD50 Marine Receiver – Navtex, weatherfax, etc.
- 12V outlet
On Main Nav Station Panel:
- Simrad CX44 (10” display) NavStation.
- Raymarine ST-50 PLUS Multi repeater
A short bulkhead separates the nav station from the galley and has a laminated fiddle on top for additional storage, with a small locker for keys, etc., outboard.
- Red/white switchable chart light.
- Concealed LED-string lighting over table
U-shaped Galley with Sierra Sandstone Corian countertop and Cherry cabinetry.
- Dual stainless steel basins with hot and cold pressure water, and two hand-pump faucets plumbed to the fresh-water manifold and to the sea-water manifold.
- Force 10 3-burner stove with oven and broiler.
- Illuminated remote switch for gas cut-out safety valve.
- Drop-down stainless steel splash-protector outboard of stove.
- Towel/grab bar in front of the stove with “save the cook” strap.
- Dry-goods/vegetable storage locker with top access fwd of stove.
- Storage locker under the stove.
- Louvered doors on two large storage lockers outboard of stove and refrigerator.
- Drawers above locker aft of stove; top drawer divided for silverware.
- Large refrigerator and separate freezer – Grunert Mariner DC450BD 24-volt, water-cooled system, with individual thermostatically controlled eutectic hold-over plates for refrigerator and freezer.
- Refrigerator with front-opening door, as well as top access; freezer has only top access.
- Microwave – mounted in aft locker; storage locker inboard of Microwave.
- Built-in knife rack.
- Glass/Mug rack on aft bulkhead.
- Custom binoculars box on aft bulkhead.
- Cabin-top hatch and Dorade vent over galley
- Separate door access from main passageway and aft Owner’s Cabin.
- Varnished Cherry locker doors and trim with satin-white formica cabinetry and bulkheads.
- Separate stall shower area – custom clear plexiglass shower doors, teak seat, Grohe mixing tap.
- Cherry-trim vanity with Sierra Sandstone Corian countertop and Glacier White sink
- Grey-water sump for shower stall and sink.
- Grohe fixtures with hot and cold pressure water.
- Mirror on forward bulkhead.
- Sealand Vacu-flush head with separate holding tank.
- Holding tank is plumbed to a macerator-type discharge pump, and may also be emptied at a pump-out station via a deck fitting. The holding tank level is monitored by a Tankwatch III system.
- Stainless steel towel bars and stainless steel hooks in shower.
- Locker storage under vanity, above toilet, drawers beneath counter, and additional large storage locker with shelf outboard.
- AC outlet.
- Cabin-top hatch and Dorade vent
Aft Owner’s Cabin
- Large double berth with drawers and locker under berth.
- Full-length sliding door locker storage outboard.
- Large hanging locker fwd, with shelf above.
- Opening portlight to cockpit.
- Steering Compass and Maxiview repeaters, visible from berth.
- Hella fan
Companionway (Aft center):
Companionway ladder to cockpit is adjacent to aft Owner’s cabin.
- Red step lights at the steps and companionway.
- There are teak handrails port and starboard of the companionway
- Sliding screen on companionway hatch (stows below sliding teak hatch)
- Locker under companionway has space, plumbing and power outlet for washing machine
- Companionway steps hinge up and latch overhead
- Varnished teak binocular box on aft bulkhead
- Dodger – Oyster Sunbrella (2018), with stainless steel grab rail covered with elkhide.
- Bimini – Oyster Sunbrella bimini
- Awning – Zipper to dodger
- Cockpit Cushions – 2 sets (1 new)
Cockpit features include:
- Teak capped coamings with molded-in, stainless-steel trimmed, winch pockets .
- Teak cockpit sole and companionway step.
- Large cockpit-drainage scuppers.
- Propane/Butane bottle locker with overboard drain.
- Starboard opening cockpit seat locker
- Cockpit deck shower with mixing valve and hose attachment
- Opening portlight into the aft cabin
- Boom light over table
- Detachable Bose speakers in cockpit
- Safety harness padeyes
Pedestal steering features:
- 40” destroyer-type stainless steel wheel with hide covered rim
- Hinckley teak folding mounted cockpit table.
- Varnished teak mug/cup holder
- Ritchie binnacle compass and stainless steel binnacle guard
- Single-lever throttle and transmission shift control
- Gauges for engine temperature, oil pressure, and tachometer
- Engine electric power, start and stop buttons
- Switch panel for deck functions (running lights, etc.)
- Simrad autopilot AP-300CX control head
The Cockpit is set-up for shorthanded sailing with powered winches accessible by helmsman.
- Two jib hydraulic furler switches (on port and on starboard) and one mainsail hydraulic furler switch (port side).
- Recessed panels for gps repeater, bow thruster control panel, and Navtec System 50 hydraulic control panel for backstay and vang.
- Additional foot-control switches for bow thruster.
- Full set of Raymarine ST-50 navigation instruments mounted over companionway.
SAILS and RIGGING
Built with ease of comfort and sailing in mind, NIJINSKI II was set up with a Hood stow-away, carbon-fiber mast with a Reckmann hydraulic furling system, electric primary and secondary winches, and hydraulic boom vang and backstay.
All of these features make NIJINSKI a joy to handle in all conditions:
- Carbon-fiber double spreader stoway mast and aluminum boom
- Reckmann hydraulic stoway furling system – mast
- Reckmann RF90 hydraulic headsail furling
- Navtec rod rigging
- Stainless steel turnbuckle covers
- Navtec hydraulic system for boom vang and backstay adjuster – with remote panel
- Removable inner forestay with Selden Furlex manual staysail furler.
- Housetop traveler
- Spreader lights, boom light, radar-pole light.
- Carbon-fibre spinnaker pole (mast-mounted on track).
- Carbon-fibre reaching strut (deck-chock stored).
*Nijinsky’s manual-furling staysail permits easy removal of the cutter stay, should sloop rig be preferred.
- Lewmar Ocean chrome self-tailing winches:
- Two #66 CCEST electric primaries (cockpit).
- Two #58 CCEST electric secondaries (cockpit).
- Seven #48 ST; three fwd in cockpit (outhaul, centreboard, mainsheet, stays’l halyard, stays’l furler); four on mast (main halyard, jib halyard, gennaker halyard, spinnaker pole).
- Lewmar clutches (5) and cleats (5) in cockpit and on mast.
- Mainsail – North – In-mast furling, short vertical battens, tri-radial Norlam Spectra.
- 100% #3 Jib – North – Norlam Spectra SR with rope reefing pads, reef patches, UV leach and foot, and SailKote Plus (530 sq ft, 49 m2 – good condition).
- Genoa – Hyde Sails – Dimension Polyant DCP, 10.9 oz, tri-radial high-cut Genoa, with foam luff, and leech and luff UV protector strips (710 sq ft, 66 m2 – 2014, new condition).
- Forestaysail – North – Dacron forestaysail (average condition).
- Gennaker – North: 1.5 oz. Norlon GAP3 with Snuffer Plus (very good condition)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.