The Sou’wester 42 is a timeless model within the Hinckley lineup, one that has been admired for its beauty and sailing characteristics around the world. Many Sou’wester 42’s have sailed the globe, but of the 78 built in total, MADLEN is one of the most desirable since she has only been used seasonally in New England. In every way she is appointed, equipped, and has always been maintained, to the highest standards. Only one person or family will become the next owner of MADLEN, but many will regret not buying her when they had the chance.
HULL and DECK
- Topsides: Flag Blue Awlgrip
- Bootstripe: Double White
- Cove: Gold leaf
- Bottom: Blue
- House & Deck: White gelcoat with Camel Brown molded in nonskid
- Exterior trim: Varnished teak
The Hull is a composite construction of Kevlar/E-glass inner and outer skins, with foam core that is SCRIMPed with a 100% vinylester Resin. The Deck is E-glass and balsa core, SCRIMPed with 100% vinylester resin.
The hull is laid up with a 4" recessed flange to receive the deck which is bonded to this surface with reinforced polyester adhesive and thru-bolted on 8′ centers with additional fastenings in the area of toe rail tracks, thus assuring a strong, permanent and watertight hull/deck joint.
- Guardrail: Varnished teak at sheer and with solid stainless steel half oval
- Marelon ball-valve type seacocks are flush with the hull.
- Rudder: Skeg-hung rudder.
- Centerboard: Molded solid fiberglass
- Keel: 9,000 lb. molded lead keel is secured to the hull with 1" stainless steel bolts.
- Custom fixed hull ports – port and starboard
- All stainless steel deck hardware, including SS 10” springline cleats port/starboard
- Stainless steel bow roller for CQR anchor
- Stainless steel bow and stern pulpits, with integrated stern folding teak tread boarding ladder
- Stainless steel stanchions with double lifelines and port and stbd boarding gates
- Foredeck chain stopper and oiled teak anchor chain guard
- Forward partitioned anchor locker has direct drainage to the bilge; 2nd anchor rode deck pipe fitting
- Varnished teak, double dorade box with two dorade ventilators with closures and a small covered storage area between and SS guard
- Saltwater deck wash – Jabsco 6900 pump and deck spigot
- Fresh water deck shower – with hose and mixing valve in lazarette – spigot in stbd aft coaming.
- Double-side opening hatches with white plexiglass covers
- Varnished teak handrails and trim
- Custom teak varnished deck mount for boat hook
- Liferaft in deck cradle with hydrostatic release
The aft T-shaped teak-lined cockpit coaming is wider adjacent to the wheel for comfortable outboard seating for the helmsman. The water-sealed opening cockpit seats have molded nonskid. The cockpit has a teak sole. The sail and equipment locker to port has a stainless steel line rack, a custom light and can be secured with a lock operated from the main cabin. Cockpit includes a propane locker with vent. There are four stainless steel trimmed winch pockets in the varnished teak capped coaming.
Helm: Pedestal wheel steering has a stainless steel destroyer-type wheel with an elkhide covered rim, SS guardrail, engine controls, watertight 12-volt outlet and a stainless steel housed 6” binnacle compass and binnacle guard. A helm step is flush when not in use. A complete range of engine instruments and switches are recessed in locations handy to the helmsman. Sailing instruments are above the companionway and in the forward bulkhead.
- Cockpit Dodger – White with zipper forward window and port and starboard and aft stainless steel grab rails covered in elk hide.
- Bimini – with filler between bimini and dodger – has stainless steel bows and stows aft of the cockpit with boot cover
- Cockpit Cushions
- Cockpit table – pedestal mounted, varnished teak fold-down cockpit table
- Drink holder – pedestal mounted, varnished teak
- 12V outlet cigarette-style outlet
MADLEN has a 42 MKII standard Dinette arrangement that sleeps up to six in two cabins with a total of three separate sleeping areas. Finished in satin-varnished cherry with gloss highlights, with some louvered cherry locker fronts, white formica overhead with dome lights and gloss varnished teak and holly sole throughout. All hanging lockers are cedar-lined. Integrated varnished cherry full-length handrails below the ports.
- Espar D3L diesel heater – with exhaust on deck, outlets in main salon, head and forward cabin
- (2) Double-opening white overhead hatches with screen
- (1) Opening port with screen in head provides extra light and ventilation.
- Clear top companionway board slide
- Fixed ports that provide illumination
- Two screened dorade vents with closures and cherry rings
- 12-volt lighting includes Ocean Frigast lights
- Lee cloths
- Blue UltraSuede interior cushions
Forward access to the partitioned rope/chain forepeak storage area is through a cherry door. There is a separate private entrance to the head.
- Forward is a large V-berth with adapter to form a double berth
- Two large storage drawers under berth
- Sliding vented door lockers over berths outboard port and starboard
- There is a 3-drawer bureau to port and additional locker storage over
- Full-length cedar-lined hanging locker is to starboard with dome light.
- Two ports and a double opening hatch with screen and white translucent cover
- Hella fan
- Frigast 12-volt lights and one dome halogen overhead
Next aft to port, the head is finished in White gelcoat and varnished cherry with louvered cherry locker doors, cherry trim and easily cleaned. There is a screened opening port and a screened dorade vent opening with shut off.
- White molded countertop with white sink
- Faucet with pull-out shower mixer, hot & cold pressure water
- Large one-shelf locker outboard with two cherry varnished sliding doors.
- Vacuflush flush marine head plumbed to a holding tank
- Stainless steel handrail/towel bars and clothes hooks
Amidships, this full-width cabin has a U-shaped dinette to port.
- There is a fold-down, varnished cherry dining table.
- Custom outboard dinette seat has an insert to form a double berth. There is storage behind the center seatback.
- Two Ocean Frigast lights fore and aft, both port and starboard salon
- Two stereo speakers
- Forward bulkhead has a large clock and barometer
- Large overhead opening white plexiglass hatch
To port over outboard are two storage lockers and a cherry sheathed alcove with a port.
To Starboard: Forward is a full-length cedar-lined hanging locker with dome light. Aft of the hanging locker is a two-drawer cabinet with a locker above. Continuing aft there is a curved settee/transom berth that pulls inboard with storage behind. Over outboard are two lockers and a cherry sheathed center alcove with a port outboard.
Next to port, the Galley is separated from the main salon by a 5/8’s bulkhead with a varnished cherry cut-out grab rail.
The U-shaped galley has dome lighting under the overhead cabinets as well as natural light from ports and companionway and overhead hatch:
- Forward: Cameo White Corian countertop with undermounted stainless steel double sink with covers, faucet with hot & cold pressure water, manual freshwater hand pump.
- Outboard: Gimbaled 3-burner stainless steel Force 10 propane stove with oven & broiler and flush Corian stove cover in a stainless steel enclosure with solenoid shut-off. Trap storage and custom integrated knife storage forward.
- Aft: Grunert AR-50 refrigeration system (engine-drive compressor) with separate refrigeration/freezer box system entered through traps in the countertop allowing for plenty of counter workspace. Varnished Hinckley mug rack over.
- Louvered door lockers, bin, shelves and drawer storage areas are available for foodstores and galleyware. Hinckley paper towel rack. There is a pull-out trash bin and there is a built-in dustpan in the cabin sole.
To port, opposite the galley and aft of the main salon settee is the forward-facing nav area separated by a partial bulkhead from the main salon.
- Opening nav table for storage of charts, as well as storage drawers and in a cushioned nav seat.
- Custom cherry cabinet forward houses nav electronics
- Electrical panel and gauges
- Red/white dome light
- 110-volt outlet
- 12-volt cigarette-style outlet
- NMEA outlet for computer
- Nav instruments and electronics
The Quarterberth area is aft of the Nav Station with cherry sheathing lining the area outboard. A single berth has storage lockers and bookshelf over outboard. The hot water tank is located in a locker at the aft end of the berth. Area includes a Hella fan, a stainless steel Ocean Frigast light, and an overhead dome light. A custom portlight opens to the cockpit.
COCKPIT COMPANIONWAY – is aft, on center with clear top companionway board overhead and port and starboard handrails. Below the companionway threshold there is a custom cherry flip-down louvered locker door enclosing a substantial equipment alcove.
A custom VHF/binocular box is mounted on the starboard cabin back – handy to the cockpit and nav station.
12 volt DC electrical system
- Engine start: 500 cold-crank amp capacity gel batteries
- (2) House: 380 amp/hr capacity – Gel Cell Prevailer batteries
- A dual output 140 amp alternator is mounted on the main engine.
- Emergency starting
110 volt AC System:
- Mastervolt Inverter Charger – Nav Station
- 110-volt outlets (galley, nav, head, V-berth, salon)
- 50-ft 30-amp cord with, 30-50 adapter and inlet.
All circuits are circuit breaker protected at the nav station panel that is equipped with both voltmeter and ampmeter. Master switches are provided for starting and lighting circuits. All circuits, major mechanical components and rigging are grounded with heavy copper strapping to the keel and the mast is lightning protected as well.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.