COMMENTS: SECRET STORY is a unique 40′ Hinckley Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl, which has only had two owners since she was built. She has received exceptional care since her launch in 1979 and is one of the best examples this office has ever seen. During the winter of 2016, a major undertaking was performed by Strout’s Point Wharf in South Freeport, ME. The conversion was made to add all new Garmin electronics including Chart Plotter, Radar, sailing instruments, depth, speed, VHF & AIS system. Fiberglass work was done to accommodate the consolidation and upgrade to the sailing instruments, and the entire cockpit was carefully painted with Awlgrip. A wireless network was installed and an Ipad can now be used at the navigation station as a fully functional remote/repeater. A ProMariner battery charger and inverter system was installed making all outlets live when required. All batteries were replaced. The alternators and starter motor were proactively rebuilt. The heat exchanger and oil cooler were replaced as were the engine driven and 12V refrigeration systems. The Espar diesel heater was rebuilt by the factory, and the boat was varnished inside and out with maintenance coats. Once the well thought out refit was complete, the owners launched the boat in April 2016, and spent six months cruising Maine, Grand Manan, Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island without any concerns.
Other improvements are as follows; the custom made, 316 stainless water tanks and plastic holding tank are all new and lightly used only for one season. The main and mizzen masts have Tides Marine Strong Track and Batt Cars and the spinnaker has been treated with Sailkote, all for ease of hoisting and lowering sails. The sit down Nav station, divided chain locker, raised teak cockpit grate allowing the helmsman to see over the like-new dodger and oversized winches were all original upgrades. All the life lines are new. The interior fabrics and foams are all like new. There are no â€œboatâ€ odors in the boat, never have been.
One can honestly say that most all systems have either been renewed, replaced or upgraded and all well thought out and in good taste. In short, the Bermuda 40 has set the standard as the Best "Modern Classic" cruising sailboat available today and SECRET STORY, showing superb care, proves that premise. Please come and inspect this first-class vessel. You will not be disappointed. Thank you for your interest.
HULL & DECK:
· White topsides, original gelcoat, in excellent condition, Dark blue boot stripe, red bottom (Micron 44 ablative bottom paint was applied on a recent epoxied bottom).
· White trunk cabin and top.
· Gold leaf cove stripe, name, and hail port.
· 2016 Gloss varnished exterior teak, refinished in near perfect condition.
· Solid hand laid fiberglass hull, reinforced with additional laminations in all stress areas.
· External lead keel, fastened with S/S bolts.
· Bronze centerboard is operated by a worm gear with override in case of grounding.
· Varnished teak rub rail with S/S half round (an expensive option when ordered, not found on many B-40’s).
· Teak cockpit seat back coamings with S/S half round.
· Internal copper/lightning grounding protection.
· S/S polished stem head with anchor roller.
· S/S bow and stern pulpits.
· 2016 S/S, vinyl covered, wire double lifelines and gates; S/S stanchions.
· New 2005 portlights; recently rebedded head portlight and one in main salon.
· 2011 cockpit dodger by Marine Canvas, Harpswell, ME.
· 2016 new Lifesling and white life ring, hand painted "SECRET STORY" in gold leaf.
· 2016 Awlgripped the cockpit, underside of cockpit seats and painted inside the cockpit lockers with non-skid.
· Varnished teak toe rails, trim, lazarettes, handrails, hatch trim and dorade boxes.
· Large, chromed double dorades in teak dorade box with storage between.
· Large single chromed dorade on foredeck (removable).
· Two white translucent deck hatches with screens.
· Deck with a balsa core stiffeners, is set in a 6â€ molded hull flange, fiber glassed and bolted, to form a permanent hull/deck joint.
· Custom teak deck. 5/8" thick teak is recessed/inlaid into fiberglass deck using mostly glue, 1/2" screws, not going through the fiberglass completely (unlike most teak decks which have larger screws). It was the first B-40 deck be done in this manner and was a custom add on specified by the original owners. A complete deck reseam was done in 2006; the deck is in excellent condition. The Hinckley Company told the present owner in 2016 "the decks will outlast you.â€
· Like new off-white Dodger with elkhide covered grabrail, 2011.
· Sunbrella awning by Antigua Sails covers between main and mizzen mast with side curtains.
· Varnished Hinckley binnacle-mounted folding teak cockpit table with blue canvas cover.
· Raised teak grate helm platform for better visibility.
· 12V outlet for spotlight.
· Varnished teak companionway boards, including separate boards with screens.
· Clear plexiglass companionway boards in Sunbrella pouch.
· The spacious cockpit has teak covered cockpit coamings and winch pockets.
· There is storage in the opening watertight cockpit seats that includes a sail locker.
· Yacht Specialties wheel pedestal steering includes: Elkhide covered S/S Destroyer wheel, 2006, and pedestal mounted throttle controls, 6â€ Ritchie binnacle compass and chart plotter/radar.
Fuel: 48 gallons in Monel tank and 1-25 gallon extra bladder tank.
Water: 110 gallons in 3 S/S 316 tanks.
Holding: 14.5 gallons, hard plastic.
· 1979 Westerbeke 4-108 diesel, 40 hp, FWC, with 3908 hours as of 10/2017.
· October 2016, when vessel was hauled, all oil and fuel filters changed.
· Engine was removed by Hanson Marine and all gaskets renewed prior to their trip across the Pacific in 2002.
· 2016 rebuilt starter.
· 2016 new heat exchanger and oil cooler.
· New fuel gauge.
· Hurth HBW 2:1 reduction gear transmission.
· Racor 500 fuel filter with vacuum gauge.
· 1" S/S shaft.
· 3-bladed 18" bronze propeller.
· Engine room sound insulation and engine vibration mounts; white engine pan.
· Oil transfer pump and Fram remote oil filter system.
· Fuel lift pump, new 2004.
· Exhaust system with waterlift muffler, new 2002.
· New steering cable and chains, new 2004.
· New transmission, throttle, and kill switch cables, new 2003.
· High pressure injection pump, rebuilt 2003.
· 12V Bilge pump; Whale Gusher manual type bilge pump.
· Shower sump pump.Â Â
· 2011 all seacocks cleaned and serviced.
· Emergency tiller system.
· Pressure hot and cold water system.
· Three new custom-made #316 S/S water tanks with fiberglass fittings and hoses, 2005.
· New 10 gallon Volvo QL stainless hot water and accumulator tank with fittings, 2005.
· New 12V fresh water diaphragm pump, 2005.
· 10" carbon in-line carbon water filter.
· Espar diesel heater, rebuilt by Ocean Options in 2017.
· All bilges painted white, very clean.
· 2017 2 aluminum 10 lb LP gas tanks with selector valve, located in aft lazarette locker.
· 2017 revarnished LPG locker.
· All the hoses in the boat have been replaced, some twice.
- Cruising speed: 6-6.5 knots burning .05 gph.
- Maximum speed: 7 knots.
· 2016 Garmin 741 radar and chart plotter at helm with fully functional Ipad repeater at Nav Station (Ipad not included).
· 2016 Garmin knotlog, depth, windspeed and direction (wind direction is wireless).
· 2016 Garmin 200 VHF with AIS (which can receive and transmit).
· Raymarine Autohelm autopilot TG 400 course computer with Gyro, ST6001 control head, and wireless remote control, new 2006.
· ICOM 710 SSB radio with insulated backstay antenna.
· Pactor II modem with upgraded software to Pactor III to transmit and receive email.
· 2016 Kenwood CD/AM/FM stereo.
· Electronics and electrical bonding system to keel.
· Electrical 12V/110V distribution panels with meters, circuit breakers, and Link 20 battery monitor are all outboard in the nav station.
12V DC SYSTEM:
· New 2016 engine start battery: 1-12V battery with rebuilt Leese-Neville 55 amp alternator.
· New 2016 house batteries: 4 â€“ Duracell, 105 amp 6V golf cart batteries with rebuiltLeese-Neville 105 amp alternator.
· 2 Smart regulators.
· New 2016 Â ProMariner Truepower inverter-charger, all outlets are live when inverter is on.
· Link 10 battery monitor in nav station.
· Three USB ports installed, two at the nav station and one to the outboard side of the port stereo speaker.
· Override switch allows engine to be started from house batteries.
· New LED navigation lights (bow, stern, anchor, steaming and tricolor) including new wiring from the bow locker through the bow rail to the bow lights.
110V 30 AMP AC SHORE POWER SYSTEM:
· 50´ shore power cord with adapters.
· 110V outlets in all cabins.
· The interior is satin-varnished Brunzeel mahogany with 2016 gloss varnished teak and holly sole with mirror-like finish.
· Built-in dustpan.
· Sleeps 6 in two cabins in the traditional Hinckley layout, but with the preferred built-in, sit-down Nav station to starboard.
· Custom features include a Paul Luke soapstone with fireplace in main salon â€“ (presently disconnected).
· Varnished mahogany handrails.
· 2 opening overhead hatches with screens, main and forward cabin.
· New AM/FM/CD stereo system with wireless remote and two speakers in the salon.
· Boston clock and barometer.
· Espar diesel heater rebuilt in 2017.
· White curtains.
· New 2016 Blue ultrasuede transom settee cushions and â€œNavâ€ table cushion made by Hinckley.
· Off-white â€œtweedâ€ fabric covers for pilot berths and vee berths.
· Incorporates the L-shaped galley to port, sit-down aft-facing Nav area to starboard, and full-width main salon, separated by half bulkheads.
· Forward is the enclosed head to port. The forward stateroom has wide v-berths with a bureau of drawers to port and hanging locker to starboard.
NAV STATION: (Aft starboard)
· The aft-facing, full sit-down navigation station has all electronics at eye level.
· There is chart storage inside the nav table with additional storage under the seat.
· Electrical circuit breaker panel is outboard.
· There are 2 dome lights and a flexible chart light.
GALLEY: Â (Aft port )
· The L-shaped galley is opposite the nav station with counter space and storage.
· White Formica countertop.
· Double S/S sink with pressure hot and cold water.
· Freshwater hand pump.
· Shipmate gimballed 3-burner LPG stove with oven, broiler, LPG Marinetics shutoff switch, new 12V Waeco Coolmatic refrigeration and freezer with new Sea Frost fridge/freezer compressor, 2016 (two refrigeration systems can run off batteries or be engine-driven)Â â€“ countertop hatch access.
· Custom knife, mug, paper towel and spice racks.
· Numerous storage lockers.
MAIN SALON: (Amidship)
· 2011 new navy blue ultrasuede cushions on salon settee berths; beige chenille fabric on pilot berths.
· Pilot berths and pull-out settee/transom berths, port and starboard.
· All berths and settee foams have been replaced with new foam and are covered with zippered, waterproof canvas beneath the exterior fabric in order to protect the foam.
· Drop-leaf mahogany table on centerline with 2 drawers.
· Paul Luke soapstone fireplace is on the port bulkhead with stovepipe routed through the head to help heat this area (stove pipe presently disconnected).
· Shelf storage outboard of each pilot berth, with drawer storage under.
· Large hanging locker is forward to starboard.
· Liquor locker is accessed through a door at the forward end of the starboard pilot berth.
· Bookshelf storage on the port forward bulkhead outboard.
· Stereo system is mounted to the starboard bulkhead with port and starboard built-in speakers.
· 12V bulkhead lighting.
HEAD: (Forward to port)
· The head is painted white 2016, with a varnished mahogany trim and teak grate for the sole; a privacy curtain separates the salon, head and ownerâ€™s stateroom which also has a door.
· S/S sink with fixtures including handheld shower, all fixtures replaced 2005.
· Wilcox-Crittenden Skipper II head, rebuilt 2006, including new leather and bronze piston lever.
· 2011 all new head and holding tank hoses installed along with new holding tank, manual pump for overboard discharge and deck fitting for pump out. All rarely used given boat storage. No odors.
· Mahogany medicine cabinet. Linen locker with drawer storage.
MASTER STATEROOM: (Forward)
· Wide vee berths (no filler piece).
· 2016 varnished vee berth cabin and white overhead.
· Bookshelves outboard of the berths and storage under.
· Seat and locker between the berths.
· Bureau of drawers to port.
· Large hanging locker to starboard.
· There is double door access to the forepeak chain locker and an opening hatch to the foredeck that provides extra light and ventilation.
· Full length mirror behind forward door.
SAILS & RIGGING:
· 2001 Quantum full batten main with batt cars & â€œStrongâ€ mainsail track.
· 2006 Quantum full batten mizzen with batt cars and â€œStrongâ€ mizzen track.
· 2001 135% Quantum genoa with foam luffs.
· 2001 Quantum asymmetrical spinnaker.
· 2001 Quantum storm jib, with hank-ons for inner stay.
· Original Hood 150% genoa.
· Original Hood 100% working jib.
· Hinckley fabricated main and mizzen aluminum spars with 1×19 S/S standing rigging to swaged terminals and lug tensioners.
· Harken MK II roller furler â€œheadstayâ€ system.
· Removable inner forestay with heavy duty running backstays on block and tackles, when inner stay is used.
· Mainsheet traveler installed forward of companionway.
· Schaefer, removable boom vang, 2006.
· Spreader lights.
· S/S standing rigging replaced 2002.
· New genoa sheets, main halyard, and topping lift 2016; all other halyard and mainsheet 2006.
· Folding mast steps to spreader.
· Spinnaker pole/whisker pole to pole out jib.
· Installed "Strong" tracks with Batt cars on both the main and mizzen for ease of hoisting and dropping sails.
· New jib halyard and mizzen halyard.
· #32 ST Barient Primary sheet winches in cockpit.
· #23 ST Barient Secondaries in cockpit.
· #22 Barient Mainsheet.
· Barient Genoa Halyard.
· #32 Harken ST Main Halyard.
· #16 Lewmar Reefing.
· #16 Halyard Mizzen.
· Ideal electric windlass with chain gypsy, new 2002, up only.
· 45 lb CQR anchor in Hinckley anchor roller.
· 2- Danforth anchors mounted in chocks on cabin top (one 20 lb and one 12 lb).
· 220Â´ 3/8â€ chain, regalvanized 2006 (all chain for CQR).
· Approximately 200Â´ Â½â€ anchor rode for Danforth anchors.
· Spectra Catalina Series 15 gph watermaker with freshwater flush module 2004 with brand new spare motor (it was pickled, disassembled and will be sold AS IS). Â
· 2016 LED lights for tricolor and anchor light.
· New Windex at top of mast.
· 2015 one Whale Gusher type manual bilge pump; 2015 one 12V bilge pump.
· 2015 new fresh water pressure pump with an accumulator tank.
· 4 Fenders with blue fleece covers, and two varnished fenderboards.
· Boat hook.
· Hinckley S/S folding stern boarding ladder with teak steps.
· Outboard motor bracket.
· Tri-colored masthead light.
· Compressed air horn.
· Life jackets.
· Man overboard pole.
· Throw cushions.
· Fire extinguishers.
· Two rod holders.
· Zodiac 6 person life raft in hard canister-repacked in Spring 2016
· New 2016 saltwater wash down pump replaced in bow locker and two custom flush deck fittings were installed for both fresh and saltwater wash downs.
· Varnished wooden shroud rollers in excellent condition.
· Extensive spares.
Potential purchasers should assume that items on the vessel at the time of viewing, but not specifically listed on this specification sheet, are not included with the sale of the yacht. These specifications are believed to be correct but cannot be guaranteed. Specifications are provided for information purposes. Data was obtained from sources believed reliable but is not guaranteed by owner or brokers. Buyer assumes responsibility to verify all speeds, consumptions, capacities and other measurements contained herein and otherwise provided, and agrees to instruct his surveyor to confirm such details prior to purchase. Vessel subject to sale, price and inventory changes, and withdrawal from market without notice.Â Â Â Â