Sail handling has been thoroughly engineered for simplicity, reliability, and ease of use. A Hall Spars carbon fiber mast, Leisurefurl in-boom furling system, Navtec hydraulic system for the vang and backstay and hydraulic primary and main halyard winches are standard equipment. Her generous fractional rig with self-tacking jib makes for a powerful yet remarkably easy to control sail plan. As perfected on the smaller M-Series boats all sheets and control lines are led below deck to rope clutches and hydraulic winches located in the cockpit within easy reach of the helmsperson. The only lines above deck are for the asymmetrical cruising spinnaker that is trimmed from self-tailing manual winches outboard of the helm. All of these features allow for comfortable and convenient access to all sail controls for the skipper with lots of cockpit room for family and guests. Forward of the control pods are spacious port and starboard cockpit seats which are nearly seven feet in length and comfortably suitable for seating six adults or taking a nap. Hatches on all three cockpit seats allow access to below-decks storage. A standard gloss-varnished teak drop leaf table with integrated cooler is permanently fixed to the cockpit sole.
A high performance bulbed keel of moderate draft together with a high aspect ratio carbon/ epoxy spade rudder are designed and built for speed, stability, and precise control. Exterior styling is traditional with gelcoat deckhouse and gloss varnished teak joinery including toe rail, eyebrow trim, dorade boxes, coaming cap, companionway hatch and cabin top handrails.
A comfortable, spacious interior with full standing headroom is finished in classic Herreshoff style with antique white bulkheads, gloss varnished solid cherry joinery, satin varnished teak and holly cabin sole and traditional wood sheathing overhead painted white to match the bulkheads. The owner’s stateroom forward features a queen size center line berth, wide contoured seats port and starboard, a full height hanging locker, and dresser unit with two drawers and a drop front in the lower portion and a storage locker above. Two large full width drawers are built-in under the berth. Two overhead hatched provide excellent ventilation. The stateroom includes its own private head compartment and attached fully enclosed shower stall. The shower enclosure has a molded fiberglass pan with integral sump and drain system. In addition, the shower also includes a built in teak slat seat, wet locker and wall mount shower mixer with temperature controlled valve. The head included a Vacuflush toilet, varnished cherry countertop with a polished SS over sink, hot and cold pressurized water, and overhead hatch for ventilation. In the main salon, the starboard U-shaped dinette with its lavishly sculpted cushions invites you to comfortably lounge or dine with your guests. The cherry drop-leaf table incorporates liquor and silverware storage. A modern butterfly style hatch above the dining table and eight large fixed portlights provide great natural lighting and ventilation. Opposite the dinette the port settee provides comfortable seating for two. The aft end of the settee serves as the seat for the aft facing Navigation desk. The Nav desk has built-in chart storage and raised instrument console above. Outboard of the Nav desk, the electrical panel and all monitoring devices and gauges are organized in one convenient location. At the forward end of the main salon on the port side you will find a large storage cabinet with varnished cherry countertop and storage cupboard above. Ample bookshelf space in built in above both the port settee and dinette areas centered between the storage lockers. The aft cabin features a double quarter berth to port with full height hanging locker and dresser forward of the berth. The dresser is built with two drawers and a locker door below the countertop and single storage locker above. An overhead hatch provides ventilation. The aft head is complete with manually operated toilet, varnished cherry countertop with SS sink, hot and cold pressurized water, wall mount shower, molded fiberglass floor pan with shower sump, large outboard storage locker and an overhead hatch for ventilation.
The galley is complete with a three-burner gimbaled propane stove, DC refrigeration, Corian countertops, polished SS sink and hot and cold pressure water. A large tilt-out trash bin is mounted through the inboard face of the galley at the forward end. A pair of double locker doors access the area below the sink. A stack of four drawers are conveniently located between the sink and stove. The top drawer has an organizer for silverware. A drop front door is mounted directly below the stove to provide space for pan storage. The refrigerator with a single top- loading hatch is located aft of the stove. Three separate lockers are above the countertop in the galley provide storage for dry goods, dedicated dish storage Morris Yachts supplied china a acrylic glasses. Varnished teak companionway ladder with non-slip surface on each tread.
Unique to the M-Series boats, all sheets and control lines are led below deck to rope clutches and electric winches located in the cockpit within easy reach of the helmsperson. These features allow convenient access to all sail controls for the helmsperson. Hoisting the mainsail, unfurling the self-tacking jib, adjusting the single jib sheet and main sheet; adjusting the back stay & boom vang and even controlling the main boom preventer can all be done at the helm.
The cockpit seating will comfortably seat six adults for dining around the custom removable varnished drop leaf table or provide just the place for a nap after lunch. A Lazerette hatch in the starboard cockpit seat provides access to equipment and below-decks storage while the port cockpit hatch offers a shallow tray for blocks, winch handles and misc gear.
- Custom molded fiberglass steering pedestal with Sunbrella cover.
- Varnished teak steering wheel.
- Removable teak foot block for helmsman on centerline aft of the pedestal.
- Stainless steel foot switches for controlling opposing winches on each side of helm for easy trimming by helmsman. Additional switches installed near winches to allow guests or crew control while racing.
- Varnished teak cockpit table incorporates a removable locker for drinks and storage area for binoculars and sunscreen. The table features custom recessed bases making the table easily removable for additional room in cockpit when racing.
- Teak clad foot rest below cockpit table.
- Two SS cup holders in cockpit winch pods with drains.
- Saloon style removable varnished teak companionway doors with storage bag in sail locker.
- Custom storage box mounted under starboard side deck to hold set of varnished teak companionway drop boards, screens and acrylic panels.
- Custom Dodger with stainless steel bows and side grab rails with elkhide covers.
- Aft edge and top of dodger coaming clad in teak veneer and finished with gloss Allbrite finish.
- Cockpit cushions.
- Cockpit light on underside of boom with dimmer control.
- Cockpit shower with hot and cold water.
- Canvas Sunbrella Cockpit awning stretching from main mast to back stay.
The majority of the interior is finished in classic Herreshoff-style white bulkheads with solid mahogany joinery finished in gloss varnish; while main salon and forward cabin boast beautiful custom raised panel bulkhead treatments. The satin varnished cabin sole is constructed of wide teak boards veneered with cork on the underside to reduce squeaking and movement Traditional individual wood sheathing strips cover the overhead and are painted white to match the interior bulkheads.
- The cabin sides are satin-varnished mahogany veneer.
- Upgraded solid mahogany passageway doors with raised panel detailing.
- Raised paneling on forward main cabin bulkhead and along passageway.
- Raised paneling on forward bulkhead in forward cabin.
- Abundant natural light from overhead stainless steel opening hatches and large fixed port-lights along cabin side
- Ocean-Air Skyscreen/Shades are fitted to each overhead hatch and finished with mahogany trim.
The owner’s stateroom forward features a plush queen size center-line berth. Personal items can be put away easily in storage lockers outboard of the berth to port and starboard, in a full height
hanging locker and bureau to starboard, and in a dresser unit to port. The bureau has two drawers and a drop front in the lower portion and a storage locker above. Two large full width drawers are built-in under the berth as well and there are three additional storage lockers under the berth. Since this boat is designed with passage making in mind, every possible space has been set up for storage. Reading lights and outboard shelves are appointed for reading before bed. An overhead hatch provides excellent ventilation and like all of the cabin top hatches it is fitted with an Ocean Air Skyscreen. The Skyscreen will keep the bugs out and allow you to regulate how much sunlight or moonlight you allow in. The stateroom includes its own private head and separate large shower stall with teak seat and towel locker. Two Raymarine multi displays are mounted in forward face of port hanging locker for easy viewing from the berth.
The forward head includes a Tecma macerating toilet, varnished mahogany counter-top with a polished SS oval washbasin, hot and cold pressurized water, and overhead hatch for ventilation. The shower enclosure has a molded fiberglass pan with integral sump and drain system, built in teak slat seat, wet locker, and wall mount shower mixer with temperature controlled valve. As in the owner’s stateroom, there is plenty of room for toiletries, towels and other necessities.
A cozy main salon area is just forward of the spacious galley to starboard of the companionway. The custom U-shaped seating area encircles the solid mahogany drop leaf table, with integral wine/liquor storage space and can accommodate 5 people comfortably for dining. The custom mahogany table also pivots on a fixed base to allow more space for sleeping on the Pullman- style berth to starboard. A great nook for movie watching as well, the u-shaped salon seating faces the well hidden flat screen display behind the raised panel locker doors. A combination DVD/stereo in the nav area or laptop cable acts as the source for the surround sound entertainment system. The modern “butterfly-style” hatch above the dining table and eight large fixed port-lights provide abundant natural lighting and ventilation to the living area.
Opposite the dinette, the port settee doubles as an aft-facing navigation area with mahogany nav table (with chart storage) “catch-all” shelf and built-in electronics locker (with Raymarine GPS plotter, VHF radio, multi displays and XM Stereo/DVD, USB ports and laptop cables) and provides comfortable seating for two or lounging or sleeping for one (Lee cloth located under cushion). A beautiful Stainless steel Chelsea Clock & Barometer are mounted above the nav table on the bulkhead.
“Hope” is equipped with air-conditioning (and reverse cycle heat) to keep the interior at a comfortable temperature while docked in a Marina. When away from shore power, the Espar heater can be used to keep the interior cozy and warm and dry.
The u-shaped galley counter tops are Corian (Bone) and very practical for those active in the galley. A three-burner Force 10 gimbaled propane stove and oven, 12-VDC Seafrost refrigeration, polished SS double sink and hot and cold pressure water provide the basic tools. Abundant storage is available beneath the sink and four drawers are conveniently stacked forward of the stove with storage for silverware, napkins, place mats etc. A drop-front door mounted directly below the stove provides ample space for pots and pans, and a large dry locker outboard of the sink provides voluminous storage for long voyages. The large refrigerator is located aft of the stove, with access via two top-loading hatches. Three sliding locker doors outboard and above the galley stove provide storage for a microwave oven, dish/glasses and coffee pot. An over-sized tilt-out mahogany trimmed custom waste basket is located to port of the galley sink and logically accessible by those in and out of the galley. The varnished mahogany companionway steps are hinged for easy access to the main engine and includes a unique crushed walnut non-slip surface on each tread for safety.
The guest cabin to port features a double quarter berth with a full height hanging locker and dresser forward of the berth. The dresser is built with three drawers, a fiddled counter-top, and a single storage locker above. An overhead hatch provides natural ventilation while the Espar heater duct provides heat when needed. A separate raised panel mahogany door provides private access from cabin into the guest head (day head). A second solid mahogany door is mounted across from the galley for day use while underway and sailing.
The guest head is complete with an electric Tecma toilet, varnished cherry counter-top with SS washbasin, hot and cold pressurized water; the pullout faucet can be used as a shower. The head compartment has a molded fiberglass floor pan with integral molded non-skid pattern and shower sump, a large outboard storage locker, and an overhead hatch for ventilation. Access to the head is both through the guest cabin for privacy and from the main salon for day-head use.
SAIL HANDLING, SPARS AND RIGGING
The M52’s timeless looks are based on the classics, but unlike the classics that need a crew of 10 to sail, this boat can be easily singlehanded, double-handed or raced with a full crew. In these times when schedules are so difficult to coordinate, Morris has engineered the M- Series’ sail handling for simplicity, reliability, and ease of use. Introduced in 2004, the signature M-Series helm station features the often copied but never perfected by others sail handling systems and helmsman control pod. All sheets and control lines are led below deck to rope clutches and electric winches located in the cockpit within easy reach of the helmsperson. The only lines above deck are the sheets for the asymmetrical cruising spinnaker that are trimmed from electric self-tailing winches outboard of the helm. All of these features allow for comfortable and convenient access to all sail controls for the helmsperson with lots of cockpit room for family and guests. Current equipment also includes a carbon fiber mast, carbon fiber boom with electric in-boom furling system, electric jib furler, hydraulic system for the vang and backstay, electric anchor windlass and electric primary, secondary and main halyard winches.
Yes, it is push button sailing that means getting off the dock or mooring in a jiffy and without a crew. Her generous fractional rig with self-tacking jib makes for a sail plan that is powerful yet remarkably easy to control. A full North racing and cruising sail inventory provides excellent performance in all conditions.
SPARS and RIGGING:
- Carbon fiber mast with fractional rig and swept back spreaders by Offshore Spars awlgripped to match deck gelcoat (Oyster white)
- Leisurefurl offshore aluminum furling boom by Forespar model 25/8L
- Self-tacking jib on athwartships curved track.
- Bamar MEJS 1.02 spheric self-aligning 12 v electric headsail furling system with joystick on helm pedestal.
- Removable Harken stand up blocks for Gennaker and pad eye on bow for tack pennant
- Standing rigging is Navtec stainless steel rod.
- Navtec hydraulic system with control panel in cockpit for control of ss backstay and ss vang cylinders.
- SS covers for Navtec shroud turnbuckles.
- Custom internal boom preventer.
- Running rigging is low-stretch New England Rope.
- 3 pair Halogen spreader lights with ability to light up deck or above first or second set of spreaders
- Lewmar rope clutches on mast and at helm
- Lightning protection with “no strike” dissipater at masthead
- Combination tri-color light and anchor light at masthead WINCHES
- (2) Lewmar 58 CCEST electric self-tailing primary winches.
- (2) Lewmar 50 CCST electric secondary winches with optional teak winch bases.
- (2) Lewmar 48CCST mast mounted halyard winchs.
- Lewmar 10” aluminum Powergrip lock-in winch handles.
- (2) Optional ss covered switches for primary winches (criss-cross-wired) on cockpit sole
- Lewmar Ocean Gypsy V3 12v DC Anchor windlass SAILS AND CANVAS
- Sail inventory is by North Sails and includes the following sails:
- Marathon 3DL full-battened in-boom furling mainsail
- Marathon 3DL electric furling jib
- G-AP 2 Asymmetrical (Gennaker) with snuffer.
- Sunbrella canvas removable dodger (Toast) with grab rails on aft end and sides covered in elkhyde
- Pedestal/wheel cover
- Custom boom cover as well as factory Leisurefurl internal mainsail cover
- Cockpit table cover
- Butterfly hatch, teak handrail and dorade box covers
- Custom elkhide covers on most turnbuckles, backstay, mainsheet and preventer blocks